Recipe Type: vegetarian main dish
Cuisine: comfort food
an excellent veg chili that can be modified to suit your tastes.
- 4 large onions chopped
- 1 large red, orange or yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (1 lb.) tomatoes undrained
- 5 cups cooked kidney beans plus 11/2 cups cooking liquid or water or 3 cans (1lb.) kidney beans undrained and 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- Sea salt
- In a large pot cook onions and pepper in oil over medium heat stirring occasionally until onions are golden and pepper is soft.
- Add mustard seeds and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add chili powder, cumin seeds, cocoa, cinnamon, tomatoes (break up with a spoon) and beans and their liquid, water and tomato paste.
- Reduce heat and simmer rapidly, uncovered for 40 minutes or until most of the liquid has cooked away and chili is thickened.
- Stir frequently to prevent scorching.
- Season with salt to taste.
- You can easily double the recipe.
- Relish toppings: Arrange in containers pink onions (recipe below) canned jalapeno peppers, grated cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, tomatoes and cucumber, Greek yogurt, lime wedges.
- Pink Onions
- In a 1 quart pan over high heat, bring 2 cups water and 11/2 Tablespoons vinegar to a boil.
- Add 1 large red onion, thinly sliced, and push down into liquid.
- Return to a boil and cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain onion and let cool.
- In a bowl stir together onion, 11/2 teaspoons vinegar, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon mustard seeds, ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds and salt to taste.
- Serve at room temperature or cover and chill until ready to serve.